Monday, June 11, 2012

Travelling time

Meeting the family sort of went well. I introduced Boyfriend D just as a good friend. My mum's cooking was nice and homey, but bit too hot for Boyfriend D, A, and including myself! It was a delicious agony as we coped with the spiciness. I think I must have lost the ability to eat spicy food. Then my mum was concerned that Boyfriend D did not eat very much. Hmmm, she was very observant. And before half way through the wine tasting, my mum and sister got bored so they left earlier, lol. I'm glad that Boyfriend D met my mum and sister even though they didn't talk much. This will be a reference when I came out to my family. I have just driven them to the airport and now I'm getting a bit homesick - I can't believe it.

As the topic suggests, it is really a travelling time. Boyfriend D has gone back to New Zealand for a week. He is not out yet, so our contact at the moment is kept minimal. We are just being super cautious, as he is staying with parents and doesn't want his family to get suspicious.

Glasgow summer is colder than Melbourne winter. How do these guys cope with the breeze?

Before Boyfriend D gets back to Melbourne, I'm leaving for an externship in veterinary anatomical pathology at the University of Glasgow, Scotland for a month. It will be my first time travelling to Europe. I'm feeling both excited and nervous, as I'm setting a step closer to my dream. Also I have a thing for guys wearing kilts, haha. It would be nice to try them on and immerse myself into the Scottish culture, and try everything. No offense to everyone, but I have been warned that they speak funny there. Hopefully, I will be able to make sense of the Scottish accent. Boyfriend D also has both Irish and Scottish family background, though he only speaks English with a Kiwi accent. I just know that different tartan patterns relate different clans or family groups, though tourists often just pick the pattern they like. I will need to find the pattern that relates to Boyfriend D's family then. Anyone have any suggestion of the things to do and must-do's in Scotland? So far I have got: eating Haggis, getting a photo of myself mooning in kilts, hiking, visiting Loch Lomond, Scottish folk dancing (one of the vets at uni told me),  and learning Scottish slangs.

1 comment:

  1. A few things come to mind which might stand you in good stead.
    It's traditional to form one's first mouthful of haggis into a ball and spit it out. After that you must eat with every appearance of distaste. This is what haggis is for and you will disappoint Scots if you appear to like it and spoil their joke. There is similar etiquette for the bagpipes, which no true Scot actually likes. Unfortunately it's complicated so best be noncommital.
    If you're invited to a party or gathering, and if the host to whom you are introduced is wearing the kilt, it's considered polite to kneel on one knee and feel up his thighs. He may not acknowledge this apparent tribute, but don't worry, just keep feeling around. Thirty seconds is considered about right.
    These rules are varied in Glasgow. In fact they're a bit more straitlaced so don't go in for the above. They hate highland and Edinburgh rules almost more than they hate the English. If in the company of Glaswegians it's best to keep repeating the phrase 'weesht, yaur lookin greetin faced unt crebbit, lak yer bi midgie-reckin in yon cludgie und faend naught' or, if you think somebody's being kind and attentive, you could try 'mae yer bum's oot ra windae wi' me, awa an bile yer heid'. Get these off perfectly and you'll be accepted anywhere in Glasgow.
    You'll have a lovely time. Love, Alec xx

    ReplyDelete