Sunday, March 18, 2012

Coming out to high school besties

I just had a housewarming for my high school close friends on St. Patrick's day.  They were away when I threw the first housewarming party a while back, so this one was for them. There were four of us that are quite close and still in Melbourne - a few others have moved elsewhere, and the contact sort of fades. I have been thinking about this for ages, but could not bring it up at all even though one of them had asked me if I'm gay previously. Well, I shot off "Nah" quickly without hesitation then explaining how my uni life keeps me busy from finding a girl- the best defence is a quick answer that sounds genuine, isn't it? However, she even said she's okay if I am, despite me saying "Nah". Girls are usually pretty good at this stuff, eh?

To my high school mates, at last


S, A and B are my high school friends. We have known each other for roughly 7 years. They were all invited, but B got an emergency work call and S came a bit later with her boyfriend. After having some Mojito that I made, we sat leisurely listening to my heart-felt iPod playlist. The night was good and homey. I had my courage up, but could not find the right timing. Right after they left my place, I decided that I wouldn't want to keep it away from them anymore, so I texted S, A, and B saying that I have a boyfriend. Even though B didn't come to the housewarming, I wanted everyone in the circle to be on the same page.

The summary of their response is as followed:

S: She said "Congrats" and told me that she is very happy for me. Then she wanted me to tell her about my boyfriend D. She tried to stalk him on Facebook, but couldn't see much, so she asked me a photo. I obliged and her reply was " So cute! Well done, GVP :D" She also said that I have a lot of questions to answer her now.

A: He went "OoOoo, how come you didn't mention it earlier?" After that, he said that this doesn't change anything, and that we're still good friends. He also asked me to leave some time to hang out and for playing tennis with him too.

B: "Have a glass of wine for a new lol. I support you!" Then he said that he was sorry because he couldn't come to the party, and I can explain everything to him later when we catch up.

Although, they felt a bit upset that most of my vet mates have been told before them, everything went well. I feel a tad guilty for not having told them in person, but at least they all know now. They warned me that we will be having a long coffee/dinner with an interrogation session soon, haha.  Pretty soon, they will be asking me to drag my boyfriend D for our brunch out. It's a huge weight off my shoulders and another big step. The next would be my family at the end of this year once I finished uni and become financially independent.

4 comments:

  1. Good going with the besties! I don't think I have the courage, at least not now. maybe 5 years down the road as either a vet or med student, I have the courage to choose which way to go. I wonder if my friends are as okay as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tempus. I guess it's best to come out when you feel ready, and just do it at your own pace. I was told by one of my straight mates that the young generation is generally ok with it nowsdays.

      One thing about vet or med - study what you like. Though take note that vets don't take that much money compared to meds.

      Delete
  2. Congrats GVP!
    I can still remember my first coming out to my besties too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the immigayrant!
      The whole thing still feels unreal to me as I was prepared for the worst :)

      Delete