Monday, November 28, 2011

Hello Freedom!

After weeks of agony, I'm now free (only until the first of January). I have a habit of shutting contact with friends during the nightmarish exam period. Well...It's nice to come back from the alternate world, and get to see them again. I decided to be a little snobbish foodie, and eat my way through this epic, so last Friday was quite epic!

The last exam was Pigs. Yes, that's the subject name seriously. Since it was the last exam, I went ballistic even before entering the Royal Execution Building - that's what uni students call it. Nice interior, but no time for appreciation though, as we are mentally fighting for our life. Somehow I finished the paper early, and I knew that I already pass, so I kept my promise to the vetties -  writing down one of my signature pork dish on the answer script book. Anyone feel like having Old-styled English pork with saute'd green apple?

Imaging 10 grown-ups dipping and playing in the water :)


Outside the exam hall, people just went nuts, me included. Some of us decided to pop some Champagne and sparkling wine right in front of the building. Sitting down chatting and drinking could not get better with a perfect sunny clear sky. Not so long later, vet kids were dipping into the water fountain - see the photo above, yes that fountain. If you saw about 10 big kids, playing with the water fountain last Friday, that's us. After a bit of shenanigans, I rushed off to meet my non-vetties friends for lunch at De Clieu. We were chatting and catching up on what is going on in life. One of the topic I remember was the current anti-Monarchy movement in Thailand. I rarely follow what is going on over there, but it is quite a hot issue at the moment, so hot that I saw a lot of comments on Facebook. The social media is one of the only few platforms, that does not get censored, and shut of by the IT ministry due to the current Draconian law. Well... I'm an anti-Monarchy myself, since I believe in equality, and that no one is above anyone else. Funnily enough saying this out loud would get me branded a traitor and my head chopped off in Thailand. So that was nice to speak about the issue freely here.

Pork neck roti to cure my hunger


After lunch, we made your way for some afternoon snack at La Belle Miette. They have one of the best macarons in Melbourne, as their macarons are not overly sweet like those found anywhere else. We walked down the CBD main street with a box of colourful snacks. It was quite lovely to sit along side Bourke Street, CBD munching macarons, and watching the street performances.


GLBT much?

Then I ditched my mates for a moment to see a film with the vetties. When we were buying tickets, we got as for a photo ID, I went "WTF lol?as one of us was over 30yo and got a PhD. It was highly amusing that my friend had to show her ID. Anyway, I didn't have a clue what we were seeing, but I just told them to make sure it suited after-the-exam-mood. Also watching a film without any alcohol would be so wrong that day, so I sneaked in a can of 0.65L Sapporo beer. Once we were in the cinema, there were so many high school kids, perhaps that was why we got asked for ID. Apparently the film my mates picked was Inbetweeners, the. The beer was gone slightly too quick, and I was watching the film a tad high. In the end, the film was average for me, but at least it got rid off the post-exam syndrome, and made me feel like it's finally holiday.

After the film, I met up with my non-vet friends again for dinner at Marios Cafe - one of my favourites. This is the only few places that serve awesome pastas, especially pesto fettucine. I usually don't manage to finish a pasta by myself, since it feel to fat-tingly sickening. This place is an exception, and the wait staff also wear a classic black vest with tie, boxes ticked! To seal the deal, there is also trans waitress, overseeing a good drink list. Double ticks for supporting GLBT and diversity :) Anyway, I went for a hearty dish, since I was heading for clubbing that night. Medium rare Scotch fillet and a glass of red with good companions were a perfect Friday dinner. My mates and I talked about food, culture, and plans after finishing undergrad. Interestingly enough, we all wanted to stay in Australia to work for a year or so, before leaving it for good to travel the world, and study further either in UK or US. A while later, we trammed back to the CBD, and I left to meet vetties for clubbing. Well.. after a wild night, I finally got home the next day afternoon - totally knackered.

Friday just couldn't get better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment