Saturday, October 1, 2011

Roles and responsibilities of veterinarians

I'm sitting in my room, drinking a long macchiato, and wondering about what is beyond my to-come graduation and so on. But, there is usually one thing that I usually keep thinking when I have time for my mind drift philosophically: what are my roles and responsibilities as a veterinarian apart from the stuff that set up by the AVMA and AVA?

Hmmm... I can't hear my heart
The answer in response has always been changing through my yet-to-end veterinary training, and it will continue to be so. When I first entered the vet school, it was just simply treating the patients. Be it dogs, cats, horses, cattle, sheep, rats, mice snakes, spiders! etc. Over the years, I have added, tweaked and formulated a long response, which now becomes more like an equation and includes:

1. Consult with clients in regard to their concern with their pet, and provide up-to-date information so that a well informed decision can be made in the best interest of the patient.
2. Utilise the knowledge to approach the problem, on ethical and compassionate grounds.
3. Understand, value and endearvour to cherish the bond between human and animal.
4. Provide sound and well informed opinion to the general public in regard to issues related to the profession, in addition to educate pet owners.
5. Contribute, where possible, to the advancement of scientific knowledge and research, as well as the training of future veterinarians.
6. Participate in continued education and pursue one's interest in veterinary discipline and expertise.

With those said, I strongly view myself as a source of information for clients. However, clients facing with a dilemma frequently turns to veterinarians and ask this particular question that I'm really reluctant to answer in a consult, especially when dealing with a potential euthanasia: What would you do if he/she (the animal) is your pet?

"Damn, she/he is definitely not my pet. I'm not the one paying for the treatment bill. Can't you use your brain and make up your mind?" I say in my head before respond with a blurb I have for this situation in an auto-pilot mode.

"I'm afraid that it's not my responsibility to make a decision about Insert the animal's name. There is no right or wrong choice, so what you believe is the right decision is right, and I'm not here to judge." I say in a matter of fact tone but with sympathy, while looking at the client.

Nowsdays, pets are in general as part of the family in the western society. Many people consider their pet as their child. Therefore, I do not see myself morally and legally proper to be making such decision for someone else under the above circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment