Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pathologists' dark sense of humour

A lot of my mates perceive veterinary pathologists as being laid back in general, which I think it's quite true after having spent some time with many. But, I have to add our humour is rather odd and morbid as well. It may be due having to deal with cardinal humours on a day basis, perhaps? There is a few examples (of many) that I have in my head:

You all must have heard people saying "Do as I said, not as I do", and many veterinary pathologists are like that (I'm included even though not a pathologist just yet). We preach veterinary students not to use food to describe lesions. But then, we describe a suppurative (pus-sy) lesion as cottage cheese or compare chylothorax (white fluid in the chest) to a thick milkshake. Worse than that, with a bit of blood contamination, the milkshake is said to have a strawberry flavour. Ewwwwww~

I was helping out a pathologist and a lab technician with a necropsy then we started chatting about cold Melbourne weather and somehow animal body cremation - turning 20kg mass into less than half a kg ash. The pathologist mentioned how her partner is having a holiday, and enjoying summer overseas while she is working and suffering this cold miserable weather. The technician asked if her partner was being naughty and she needs to use the cremation facility. She responded laughingly that she will let him know if her partner is planning to travel without her again. I can see a perfect crime there, nah?

Once we were looking at a tissue slide of a feline kidney during one of the weekly histopathology round. After looking down a microscope, I proceeded to ask about these big bubbles in the tissue, and I was told that they were fat. "Well, you are what you eat, isn't it?" quickly added someone in the room.

This last one really got me laughing; there was a dog skull transceted in halves. One of the senior pathologists looked the skull and said "Hmm, I'm amused that the cranial cavity (hole in the skull that the brain sits in) is tiny. Look at the dog, it's massive! The brain is also tiny. I really to see the owner of this dog". Comparing people and their pet for similarities is always a good fun, don't you think?

Laughter is always good, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment