Sunday, October 23, 2011

A long macchiato

When I started this blog, food was definitely on the topic list. So this shall be the first post about my eating habit!

Several of my vet friends and I have been locking myself up in the college libraly, trying hard to stay focused on studies. It is not uncommon to be hearing us swear and scream for no reason, as our sanity is certainly questionable. One thing, that stops me from crossing over to the other side completely, is unarguably having gourmand moments and getting decent coffees.

Smiley alien :)
Over the weekend, I had my usual cafe hunt/ritual, and found a nice little cafe, called Fix espresso. After having been caffeinating here and there over a few years, I seem to have developed invisible antennas, which somewhat detect decent-caffeine outlets. The smell, ambience, sound of milk foaming, and barista (wearing a classic grey vest) ticked the boxes. So I proceeded to settle down with study notes, and called for a long macchiato as well as their big breakfast. I couldn't help but smiling when my coffee was served. The latte art was just so adorable, in addition to strong coffee as I expected. The breakie was an average Joe, on the other hand, but the coffee won the merit.

My habit has me wondering what is going to happen when I move to another city with less renown coffee culture. I already have a little stovetop, which is used daily if not twice, but the experience is not the same. And before long I will start craving and showing withdrawal symptoms. One thing that I have promised to do over this Christmas holiday is stop having coffee for a month. It will be interesting to see how I deal with my addiction, in the near future.

4 comments:

  1. Trying to limit myself to a small cup a day :) Weaning myself off so to speak. ALmost impossible to stop cold turkey since the nurses at work seem to offer it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...nice nurses. They have weaned you off to a new addiction. I was joking around with friends that a prescription could be written for my coffee addiction.

    Something along the line of:
    Remedy for sleep-deprived students only. Keep out of children. BID daily 8 hours apart/TID daily as required during exam

    ReplyDelete
  3. When choices are scarce, your definition of a decent cup of coffee might be lowered. Problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @William
    That would be true, if I have not indulged the Melbournian coffee culture. The snob in me seems have kept the coffee bar high. Now I'm looking into tea, and trying to wean off some coffee addiction.

    ReplyDelete