Sunday, October 2, 2011

Dream = goal with deadline

While I was having my weekend jog this morning, my mind seemed to drift and think about where I stand in my life, where I want to go and what are my current goals. When this happened, I usually just kept jogging until my train of though comes to a conclusion, which in this case took 2 hours of light-pace jogging. I have a habit of putting things boxes since there are often too many things happening in my head all the time. There seems to be three boxes so far, and the number in blanket is the deadline from now.

Intellectual
Pass all of my 13 exams: 7 in a few weeks and 6 at the end of this year
Acquire a residency post and sit a board exam, and proudly call myself a veterinary pathologist (5 years)
Try a hand on teaching and tutoring at uni (5 years)
Publish articles in respected journals and present at international conferences (6 years)
Decide whether to pursue my career in academic, private practice, or government sector etc. (6 years)
Complete a MPhil and PhD (10 years) - possibly they will be something related to tumours, ocular diseases, and/or tissue graft rejection
Have a peek at the Nobel award ceremony (15 years)

Self
Get abs like this (2 months)
Try a hand on rugby (1 year)
Complete an advanced course in scuba diving (2 years)
Compete in a marathon (3 years)
Take a basic cooking course here (5 years)
Take on a spiritual journey and spend time meditate for a month (5 years)
Decide where to settle down and have a family (6 years)
Learn German and French,  and hold a basic conversation (6 years)
Snowboard in Switzerland, Japan, New Zealand, and Canada (15 years)
Travel to Bhutan and Dubai (not set)

Interpersonal
Come out to my family (2 years)
Maintain to stay out in workplace (2 years)
Have fun with a British guy (not set)


Of course, there are several goals that appear quite impossible, but I never know unless I try. For me, it's ok to take a bit of detours, extend the deadline further, and change them. I'm looking forwards to one year from now, reflect back, and review what will be crossed off and what will be added :)

2 comments:

  1. Have fun with a British guy? That is oddly specific :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @savante
    I seem to have developed this little British complex, partly due to their accent and sarcastic humour.

    ReplyDelete