Sunday, October 2, 2011

Let's have a look at some art

At the moment I'm digging through my overworked little laptop, searching for notes on tumours, for the purpose of exam preparation. These are interesting images from lecture materials that I come across. During high school, I did IB Fine Arts HL, and learnt to critic artworks. Guess what, that is what I like to do while looking down a microscope.

This is why we Ozzies carry sunscreens around - malignant melanoma (nasty melanin-pigment producing tumour).
 

Malignant osteoblastic osteosarcoma (nasty bone producing tumour of a bone cell lineage)

Plasma cell myeloma aka. Multiple myeloma (nasty antibody-producing white blood cell tumour)

Mast cell tumour (nasty tumour of white blood cells with histamine granules)


The purpose of microscopic examinations is to determine the type of tumour, which we are fighting against, and to grade whether the tumour so that we can decide what is the best treatment option. Some of you may have realised that I put nasty in all of the description. Yes, we usually say "O'oh" when we see this since they are likely to have seeded to several body system, hence the prognosis is usually poor.

2 comments:

  1. AH the days of staring into the microscope :) Never could do it for long though. Gave me massive headaches if I stared too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @savante

    It's funny how I used to complain that to my mates as well as my hatred for histology, but now I just love them both. I am curious how often do you look down the microscope now.

    ReplyDelete